Commended - Rotary Aircraft - 1/71 scale and larger - Scale Model World 2017 (Telford - UK)
Silver Award - Helicopter Class - Euro Model Expo 2017 (Lingen - DE)
Gold Award - Aircraft 1/48 - Scale Model Challenge 2016 (Veldhoven - NL)
Bronze Award - 1/48th Master Class - KMK Scaleworld 2015 (Mol - BE)
A dusty dog...
Welcome aboard the USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75. Between October 2004 - April 2005 was operating in the Arabian Sea. On board, the Carrier Airwing CVW-3, which has been relocated since. At a certain time, I have started to build on a USS Truman model in 1: 350 which is still in progress. Meanwhile, I decided to build some jets and helicopters of the CVW-3 in 1:48 ...
This is a report about the first piece of this series which is the US Navy rescue helicopter Sikorsky HH-60H Rescue Hawk. It was operating from aboard to provide primary combat search and rescue, naval special warfare and anti-surface warfare. In the up-mentioned period, the Helo Squadron HS-7 "Dusty Dogs" was assigned to CVW-3 as well as the Helicopter with Built-No. 165258 seen on the picture. The model illustrates this specific machine, which was at this time painted in low-viz and presented the last helicopter of the "Dogs" with the marking 617.
The HH-60H was developed in conjunction with the US Coast Guard's HH-60J, beginning in September 1986 and had its first flight in August 1988. Due to the mentioned multi-purpose function in which rescue operations has a central role, the official Sikorsky name "Seahawk" was changed to "Rescue Hawk". Based on the SH-60F, the HH-60H received a number of defensive and offensive sensors as well as engine exhaust deflectors. Furthermore, the helicopter was equipped an extended wing to carry missiles and a variety of mountable guns.
More about the Rescue Hawk you will find here.
finished: Feb 2012 (arround 14 month building)
kit: Italeri (2680)
decals: widely self-printed
- Cobra Company HH-60H conversion (48032)
- Eduard PE parts Interior
- Eduard PE parts Exterior
- Hellfire Missiles from another kit
The interior formed out of a conjunction of original kit parts, photo-etched parts, resin parts from the Cobra set and a lot of scratch-work. Afterwards, it was widely hand-painted. Also the main windshield was reworked with clear sheet.
With some relief, the two sets brought me, I continued with manual work. So, I grabbed my box of evergreen plates and profiles, my engraving knife and my rivet wheel and started to do some more detail work ...
Time to cover the colourful mess of rework and scratched detail. I started with a grey prime, continued with pre-shading and the final painting. Some of the basic decals I applied came from the kit. As the final result should correspond to a certain machine of HS-7 with all up-mentioned related number markings, I just had the option to print all squadron markings by myself. This was done with special paper and da laser printer ...
Still not enough scratch-work? Here is the Minigun and some impressions from the build of the rotor head. The crown of the helicopter, or rather the rotor head, was actually a model within model. It took me another two month to finalise. After studying pictures for hours, I found a clear view between the hydraulic cylinders and cable runs and could start the work. Therefore, I scratched one of the hinges and afterwards reproduced them with resin molds to get a total of four in the end.
This is the final display, the model meanwhile took place on. I replaced the first one after some damages in transit to model shows. In between the model was so demolished, that I was thinking about scapping it. Luckily, I decided to do the opposite and I think it was worth it ...
Nowadays, one would have it much easier as there is much more available to build a realistic HH-60H ...