Special Award IPMS Deutschland - Best German aircraft since 1945 - 2017 (Telford - UK)
Gold Award - Civil Aircraft 1/64 scale and larger - Scale Model World 2017 (Telford - UK)
Bronze Award - Class H1 Helicopters - Euro Model Expo 2017 (Lingen - DE)
The idea to build this model actually came up 11 years ago during my civil services at emergency. During that time, I sometimes dealt with the ADAC rescue helicopter “Christoph Europa 1”. Due to my interest, I visited the ADAC air station near Aachen. There I was allowed to take a number of pictures from all details of the helicopter and luckily the machine had not been called during my photo tour. As Revell in 2014 released a new 1:32 kit of the EC-135 ADAC the hour had struck. I quickly realised that this kit is a really detailed one and offers great opportunities to put the helicopter in scene e.g. by opening some doors. At a price of 25 € you get a great kit which I can recommend without any concerns. It is capable of replacing the old Revell model kit of the EC-135 which was in need of renewal for a long time. A not quite fresh modelling starter will have a lot of fun with this model kit.
I decided against building the "Euro 1". At the end, I chose the "Christoph 31" Berlin from one of the two decal options from the kit, which also allowed the build of the more modern version EC-135P2. Nevertheless, it is the same helicopter, so that my pictures were a tremendous help for my later detail work.
kit: Revell (04659)
decals: kit and self designed/printed
references used: own photographies
As so often, I did not use a purchased aftermarket parts for this build, whereby it was more or less an "out-of-the-box" project. Nevertheless, I added a multitude of details, interiors, medical equipment and bags to the basic helicopter kit.
First, I commenced at the cockpit of the Eurocopter. All parts and instrument panels within the kit show a great detailing, so I used it as it is and started to paint them immediately. The two notebooks on the sides of the front instrument panel cover are selfmade.
All bags and the red vacuum mattress on the stretcher are self-made. Since I am not that experienced with the use of modelling clay, I used FIMO, which is a special polymer clay from the craft supplies. This material can be easily kneaded and shaped with your fingers or small tools and has then to be tempered in the oven.
Having the stretcher, bags and seats fitted with buckles and straps, everything was painted thoroughly. The two boxes are completely scratch-built from polystyrene and are not available with the kit. Even the range of instruments and medical devices has been significantly enhanced compared to the original kit. Again, some parts are entirely self-made.
After that, I started with the outside of the helicopter. With regret, I had noticed that by default only one of the front doors and one sliding door can be built as opened. As seen here, I decided to cut all other doors off to separate them carefully from the main fuselage for being able to open them on the final model. In addition, I had to extend the skid landing gear slightly by a few millimeters to meet the raised chassis of the Berliner helicopter.
The remaining assembly was made without major surprises: A bit filling and grinding, engraving here and there, supplement of a few rows of rivets (to execute this, a special decal with raised rivets was applied) and polishing at the end.
Next, I applied the primer and painting of the rescue helicopter. Thanks to the car modellers in our club, it was not difficult to get the original ADAC car paint on acrylic base. Since this is matt, the machine was covered with a high-gloss varnish from Gunze until the desired level of gloss was reached.
To set the scene of the model, I decided to place the Eurocopter on a piece of motorway just landed for emergency use. All doors opened it is possible for the rescuers to reach all the emergency equipment quickly if necessary. The crash barrier is a resin part and has also been contributed by our car modelling mates.